Monday 1 July 2013

Dread thoughts


I'm seriously losing sleep now. Getting to Gatwick on Friday at the crack of dawn means leaving home on the first train of the day at four something. Then there's the logistics of seeing Tromso in a single evening. Can I fit in all the stuff I want to do?

I talked to Trevor Gunton who is an old Arctic hand, and he told me that the botanical gardens are the best bit. 'Breeding bramblings and other birds in trees that are as far north as trees go'. He also told me two more important facts: there is no admission charge and they are open 24/7.

The other place I want to go is up the cable car to the top of the mountain that overlooks the town. Midnight would be good. The car runs until 1 am in July. That gives me a very long day, but my adrenalin will keep me going, I hope.

The weather is another concern, but it looks like Friday will be much the same as here; a chance of a shower but sunshine with a temperature of 21 deg C.

After that, there are so many unknowns, such as "What birds are on the nearby ponds at Andenes?" There might be phalaropes, divers, waders and whatever. I will just have to go and find out.

The picture above is one made by my son Nick when he was a student. This could be me (OK, not with a proper beard) if we got swept away into the North Atlantic and had to eat raw fish to survive. It hangs on the wall in my bedroom, which is why it is engraved in my sub-conscious. I might buy a yellow, oilskin Sou-wester hat.

We have been asked to bring our favourite recipe to cook for the team. Mine is Indonesian Nasi Goreng, but can I get the ingredients in Norway? I've packed the spices and ketjup on the assumption I can get meat and prawns, onions and leeks at the co-op.

Got to pack! Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment