Wednesday 15 May 2013

Whale Spot 1

The Cambridge Whale. Stranded in a museum.
I'm losing sleep now. Whales are all around me, just out of sight. I can smell them and hear them.

I have seen whales and dolphins up close and for real, in the Falklands, Seychelles, Scotland, Washington, Florida and New England but I do not remember the sense of anticipation that I have now. At my bedside there are books on whales, seabirds and Norway. I even have a book and CD on the Norwegian language. The CD has been played a few times in the car but the words don't sink in. Anyway, I'm told all Norwegians speak English which can't be true. I mean, not even all the English speak English. I know, it's a cop-out: I have two more months to learn the basics but I need a real person to converse with. Perhaps I could watch a Norwegian thriller with the sub-titles turned off?
Basking Shark of Boothbay Harbour.

So why all this sudden interest in whales and Norway?

In July, I will spend an entire week just studying whales in Arctic Norway. Until now, I did not really believe I would get there, but the tickets have been issued. I have read the project brief and I am preparing myself.

Cake Island, Cape Olava, Olympic NP
Grey whales migrate close to here.
Last year I was the BBC Wildlife Magazine Nature Writer of the Year. The prize was to be a place on an Earthwatch expedition, more or less of my choice. I chose Puerto Rico but had to cancel as we could not get all the care in place for me to be away. When I was offered Norway, my wife leaped at it saying that I would only be a short flight away. Then we learned that it takes two days to get there by air: we are talking about serious remoteness.

So as not to spoil the adventure, I will fill you in on the details later but I thought that you might enjoy some pictures of previous trips.





Orcas, Port Angelus, Washington.



.


No comments:

Post a Comment